For this November dive trip, I am taking the PADI Enriched Air Nitrox Diver course or commonly known as Nitrox (EANx) Diver course. It is a speciality course which needs you have at least 10-20 logged dives already under your belt. If I am not wrong, it is also the first step towards technical diving, which I don't have the intention to pursue further...maybe the next course I will take is Rescue Diver.
I am diving with kiasu divers with cameras who are not satisfied with their NDL bottom time, and having to come up early. To put it simply, they want to stay underwater longer.
It is a two day course with knowledge reviews, using the dive tables again, and EXAM...yes there's an exam to take. Need to score at least 85% correct. Thought I have seen the end of exams since school/college days. Nope, no such thing as no more exams after school. Kakakaka!
You must be wondering...breathing Nitrox? Well, did you know that there's about 21% oxygen concentration in the normal air we breathe? The rest is nitrogen (79%). Yes, we are all breathing nitrox, and not all oxygen. So, in diving, the Nitrox here refers to a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen, with a higher percentage of oxygen in the tank. The oxygen concentration in the tank will be higher, either 32% or 36% concentrated oxygen.
Scientists found that if they increase the percentage of oxygen in the air we breathe, it can help reduce the amount of nitrogen our body absorbs during a dive. So, less nitrogen in our body, we can stay underwater longer and shorter surface time intervals between dives.
><(((º> - . _ . - ¯`- . _ . - ¯`- ><(((º>